Monday, November 22, 2010

Fighting Sioux Logo Response

LBARTA said: "I have been a proud supporter of the Fighting Sioux for many years. I believe the nickname is treated in a proud and respectful way. You may hear from an opponent’s fans an occasional “Sioux suck” or something to that effect, but who hasn’t said “Gophers suck” or “Badgers suck”. I haven’t heard PETA complain about that, yet. Why isn’t the Fighting Irish hostile or abusive? Have the Irish given their permission. Maybe if people would get a little thicker skin and grow a pair they wouldn’t be so offended. I think that if the Standing Rock Sioux people would be allowed to vote, they too, like the Spirit Lake Sioux, would overwhelming approve of UND’s continued use of the nickname. But, the Standing Rock Tribal Council will not allow the people to be heard."


I decided to respond to this blogged response, because I feel it sums up my beliefs on indigenous team names/logos. I believe that the University specifically chose to honor the Sioux nation, by choosing 'Fighting Sioux' as their school mascot. I feel they chose this name to honor the tribe's history and inspire their students and athletic teams to be competitive in the spirit of the Sioux. I feel it was very wrong for the NCAA to require that the school change their mascot and remove the logos on campus. "Fighting Sioux" is not racist nor does it perpetuate a negative stereotype. I'm more concerned with team names like "Redskins", which I feel is just racist.    The biggest factors that should go into the consideration of removing an indigenous name from a school should be;
a.) The name is racist and perpetuates a negative stereotype.
b.) The logo is racist and depicts Native Americans in a stereotypical way(redskin, over sized mischievous eyes and large smirking almost sinister smile). 


The "fighting Sioux" name does not fit any of the criteria above and I feel the NCAA has zero right to demand the school change their logo. Changing the logo will do more harm than opting to leave the logo. As it is now, the name nor the recognizable logo are racist or are depicted stereotypically in a negative manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment